If you are involved in a romantic relationship with a narcissist, or have a family relationship with someone who is narcissistic- chances are you probably are aware of it.
Although, many grandiose and charming people are narcissistic, most of them have a front, or "mask" they initially create at the beginning of a relationship to swoon you into being intimate and committed to them.
Very often this kind of person has an inflated ego, and they are the most important person in the world. It seems they love hearing themselves speak. Very little do they let others speak, unless they feel they are special, or superior to others- like they feel about themselves. They can be extremely controlling and rude. Narcissists are not known to be tactful people. Do not underestimate their craftiness though.
They are often silver-tongued romanticists, with rose-colored glasses and tunnel vision. The world works the way they see it, and not in any other way.
They often move relationships along very quickly, and may give many gifts and pamper you with attention and recognition at first.
In business, the narcissist is a stickler with negotiations.
They do not negotiate, they wait until you get pushed into what they wanted in the first place.
What is a narcissist? What kind of traits and warning signs should you look for in a partner?
"How to Spot A Narcissist"
From Abundance Tapestry;
"You really want to be lookout on the following narcissistic traits: vain, egoistical and selfish.
Here are 10 warning signs on what the above description translates to:
1. His needs come first. You have to plan your life around his.
2. He takes more than he gives. You now realize that his show of attention on you at one stage was pretense. The honeymoon period did not last very long.
3. He talks about himself all the time. You can barely get a word in about your needs, concerns and ideas.
4. He can be manipulative, abusive and controlling. Your voice is reduced to a whimper around him.
5. He belittles you constantly. Your sense of self-worth has been shredded to pieces repeatedly.
6. He has lack of empathy for others. He is insensitive towards the feelings of his loved ones, including yours.
7. He strives to ensure that his stories of accomplishment are forever etched in your mind. You have heard the same overblown stories that happened years ago, multiple times.
8. He is always in the right. It is as if he can do no or little wrong. Even when he has a part to play, he will make it seem as if you are to blame. He is a world-class wordsmith.
9. He has trouble committing to a relationship. You have to give in to his demands for space; but you have to be on his beck and call.
10. His negative reactions are often excessive in relation to the issue. You are taken aback by his rage and punishing ways towards you."
Mayo Clinic Warning Signs
"Narcissistic personality disorder symptoms may include:
- Believing that you're better than others
- Fantasizing about power, success and attractiveness
- Exaggerating your achievements or talents
- Expecting constant praise and admiration
- Believing that you're special and acting accordingly
- Failing to recognize other people's emotions and feelings
- Expecting others to go along with your ideas and plans
- Taking advantage of others
- Expressing disdain for those you feel are inferior
- Being jealous of others
- Believing that others are jealous of you
- Trouble keeping healthy relationships
- Setting unrealistic goals
- Being easily hurt and rejected
- Having a fragile self-esteem
- Appearing as tough-minded or unemotional"
For more detail on Narcissistic Tendencies and Warning Signs Read the articles below;
Healthy Confidence or Destructive Narcissism
Narcissism as a Mental Disorder